A transit visa free for up to 72 hours provided the traveller:
- hold a valid passport with a validity of at least 6 months with 2 blank visa pages
- have proof of sufficient funds
- have proof of onward/return flights
- have all necessary documents for the next destination(s)
72 Hour Transit Policy
The 72 hour Transit Policy allows travellers to transit at Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shenyang, Dalian, Xian, Guilin, Kunming, Wuhan, Xiamen, and Hangzhou airports without a transit visa for up to 72 hours. Travellers can leave the airport provided they do not leave the province area.
1. This provision does not apply to passengers with a single return flight (e.g., Hong Kong ? Beijing - Hong Kong), and only applies to passengers with connecting air tickets of different departure and destination cities. The connecting flights should leave the airport in China within 72 hours with a confirmed date and seat or relevant certificates.
2. The policy only applies to transit via airports. Travellers that arrive to China by train or any other vehicle will need to apply for a transit visa in advance.
3. If travellers are unable to depart on time due to unavoidable reasons, such as illness or flight cancellation, they need to apply for a visa from the Municipal Public Security Bureau. Otherwise, they cannot apply for an extension of stay in China.
Note: It is always recommended that traveller confirm with the airline that they can board without a visa. The final decision is subject to the Immigration Officers discretion at point of entry.
144 Hour Transit Policy
Any traveller planning to travel to China beyond the 72 hours, there is ther 144 hour transit policy which allows travellers to transit for up to 6 days (144 hours). The cities and regions that are covered under this policy are Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Liaoning, Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei.
List of the eligible countries below.
United Arab Emirates
List of ports eligibility cover under the 144 hour transit policy :
Air, Sea and Land (Railway) ports as listed below:
--Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal,
--Wusong Passenger Transport Center.
--Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport
--Nanjing Lukou Airport
Travellers can travel around Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. A visa is required if planning to travel outside.
--Capital International Airport,
--Beijing West Railway Station
--Binhai International Airport,
--Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
--Zhengding International Airport
Travellers can travel around Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei. A visa is required if planning to travel outside.
--Zhoushuizi International Airport
--Taoxian International Airport
Travellers can travel around Liaoning province via any of the above ports. A visa is required if planning to travel outside.